Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Just Pets?


                To some people, pets are just animals and to others, pets are like their children. I very often wonder why some people even own a pet. And I use the word own because yes, you do have to pay to keep them healthy. I have a few family members who go and buy pets or receive free ones, but don’t take proper care of them. I don’t understand what the purpose of having a pet is if they never take it to the vet or spend time with it. A pet, like a child, needs to be loved and nurtured. With the holidays right around the corner, there are a lot of pet adoption commercials on television. I can’t even stand to watch the commercials because I wish I could adopt them all. These commercials are what make me think about how lucky my dogs are. My husband and I have two labs, a chocolate male and a yellow female, along with a female, yellow lab/retriever mix. Yes, that totals three full size dogs, call me crazy, but I wouldn’t trade in any of them or the memories. Asia and Louie, the two labs, we raised from puppies and for the most part they are pretty mellow. Our lab/retriever mix on the other hand, Marley, is a different story. She was dropped off at an Amish store shortly before I happened to stop there. She came running up to me, so happy and full of life, not quite a puppy, but I would guess about 4-6 months old. I fell in love with her and with my husband’s approval, I brought her home. Our plan was to find her a good home, but when we did, neither of us could give her up, so here she stays. Marley was quite a mischievous puppy chewing up a ton of shoes and anything else that was left in her sight, but we continued to love and nurture her. Now, two years later, seeing how far she’s come along really shows how hard work can pay off. So, whether you buy a puppy or adopt an adult dog, a little love, time, and repetition will go a long way.
 Left to right: Louie, Asia, & Marley
 Marley, eating her ice cream cone

No comments:

Post a Comment