Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Research Blog: Dental Assisting



           
          My research paper will be filled with information on my future career, dental assisting. Some of the topics that I am including in my paper are the job outlook, salary, job duties, and the technology in the field. I’m not really sure what it was that sparked my interest to enter the dental field because, personally, I hate going to the dentist. There is not one thing that I like about dentist appointments, but it seems like the lady helping the dentist or hygienist always do a good job of making the setting a little more comfortable. As an assistant, that is part of their job, along with prepping the patient, handing the dentists instruments and materials, sterilizing and disinfecting instruments and other equipment and many other duties that I will talk about in my paper.
I am starting out with dental assisting to get into the field and see what other options are there that may interest me more. I don’t think I could ever become a hygienist because I wouldn’t be able to handle actually cleaning other’s teeth. Now, I’ve never had braces before, but my siblings and a couple of my friends have, so I’ve been back in the orthodontist rooms. Visiting those orthodontists is what really pulled me into the dental field. Those assistants actually get hands on experience with the patients and their braces. When I went with my siblings to get their bands changed, it was the assistant who did most of the work in the room. The two different dental offices have totally different environments and job duties. After gaining experience as a dental assistant I would love to move to the orthodontics field.

4 comments:

  1. This is cool that you want to go into dental. I want to go into it also, but I have not made up my mind. Even though you didn't really explain what your question is you did a good job on showing what your question will be based on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, you are right about being the most involved as an assistant. I worked for a dentist back in the early 80's, yes I am that old, and was a 1 girl office. I did the assisting and all the reception/bookkeeping part of this job. It is a good career and awarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the dental field and have been for 15yrs. It is exciting and there are lots of new technologies. I would highly recommend asking your dentist if you could come in and observe or job shadow an assistant. Especially if your not completely sold and before the expense of college classes going into that field. Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could do this job. Some people have such a phobia of the dentist they are kind of hard to settle done. More power to anyone who can do this job. The technology of this field should be very interesting since it's a constantly changing field with new advances.

    ReplyDelete